Meet The Scoliosis Care Centers Family
Scoliosis Care CentersTM by Janzen and Janzen Chiropractic Corp has been continually evolving since our very first scoliosis patient in 2008. A little about us and the clinic: We recognized scoliosis needed a comprehensive individualized treatment. Families are generally left with the choice of doing nothing (“wait and see”) or surgery. Under the guidance of Dr. Matt Janzen, the mission of Scoliosis Care CentersTM is creating an incomparable methodology and innovative devices to provide effective care without invasive surgery.
Dr. Matthew I. Janzen
Doctor of Chiropractic
C.C.E.P, A.R.T. Provider
With more than 23 years of experience in chiropractic, specializing in scoliosis, Dr. Matthew Janzen is a skilled practitioner who received his doctorate degrees through Palmer University as a Salutatorian in 1995.
Dr. Matt specializes in musculoskeletal conditions of the spine and extremities, gearing towards sports-related injuries and scoliosis. This later allowed him to become a Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner (C.C.E.P) with the study and practice of Active Release Techniques (A.R.T.), which are highly effective for sports injuries. Innovation led by necessity has inspired Dr. Matt to develop a novel methodology that addresses scoliosis without invasive procedures in a way no other clinician has been able to. His mentality of “don’t quit until it’s fixed” has contributed to the quick growth and success of Scoliosis Care CentersTM.
“Developing better treatment through a better understanding of the problem of scoliosis.”
Dr. Michael E. Janzen
Doctor of Chiropractic
C.C.E.P, A.R.T. Provider
With more than 17 years of experience in chiropractic, Dr. Michael Janzen received his BS in Biology (Systems Physiology), Summa Cum Laude, in 1996 at San Jose State University. He finished his doctorate program at Palmer College of Chiropractic West, as Valedictorian, in 1999.
Dr. Michael Janzen has specialized in and studied different techniques in treating scoliosis. Early in his career, Dr. Michael specialized in musculoskeletal injuries of the spine and extremities from sports-related activities. Other post-doctorate certifications include Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner (C.C.E.P) and Active Release Techniques (A.R.T.). These certifications are designed to help the doctor more effectively treat the rigors of sports injuries and repetitive strain conditions. Being well rounded in all types of injuries and treatment protocols has helped him better understand the injuries of the human body.
“The solution to good health starts with a correct understanding of the problem. We strive to be thorough and complete in all aspects of our patients’ health care.”
Dr. Lepp is a board certified Doctor of Chiropractic in the State of California, and a highly experienced strength and conditioning specialist. His clinical expertise is in Neuro-Endocrine-Immunology, Functional Nutrition, Clinical Craniopathy, Cranial-Dental Integration, Functional Neurology, and Integrative Wellness Care.
Dr. Lepp provides a creative approach to healing that involves looking at the body as a complex yet understandable matrix of systems. When he looks at your body across the spectrum of systems, he discovers the root cause of your illness, and his treatments succeed where other solutions have failed.
Read more about Dr. Lepp's Background
- Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.), Palmer College of Chiropractic West; San Jose, CA; 2006
- Certified by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE), Parts I – IV, San Jose, CA; 2006
- Physiotherapy, National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE); San Jose, CA; 2005
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA); San Jose, CA; 2007
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA); San Jose, CA; 2002
- Certified Personal Fitness Trainer (CPFT), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS); NJ; 2001
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Massachusetts College of Art; Boston, MA; 1996
Post Doctoral Education
- Pediatric Spinal and Cranial Adjusting, M. Rosen; San Jose, CA; 2019
- Correcting Pediatric Primary Spinal and Cranial Patterns, M. Rosen; Hayward, CA; 2018
- Cardiovascular Health and the Heart Sound Recorder, M. Gaeta; Alameda, CA; 2018
- Examination of the Central Nervous System, NUHS: San Diego, CA; 2017
- Examination of the Peripheral Nervous System, NUHS: San Diego, CA; 2017
- Organic Acids, Genetic, & Toxic Chemical Testing, GPL University: San Jose, CA; 2016
- Current Evaluation and Treatment of Mold Toxicity, N. Nathan, J. Banta: Santa Rosa, CA; 2016
- Nutritional Keys and Clinical Gems, Logan Chiropractic College, W. Schmitt: Emeryville, CA; 2015
- Functional Blood Chemistry, Texas Chiropractic College, R. Nelson, Alameda, CA; 2014
- Gastrointestinal Functionality & Health, ACCME / Logan Chiropractic College, San Francisco, CA; 2014
- The Autoimmune Gluten Sensitivity Connection, University of Bridgeport, San Francisco, CA; 2014
- Top 7 Hormone Imbalances & How to Correct them Naturally, CNDA/S. Gottfried, San Francisco, CA; 2013
- Neuro-endocrine Immunology of Environmental Triggers, University of Bridgeport, San Francisco, CA; 2013
- Mastering Functional Blood Chemistry, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2012
- Movement Disorders I, Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies, San Francisco, CA; 2011
- Functional Neurology Diplomate Program, Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies; San Francisco, CA; 2010-Present
- Clinical Neurochemistry Certification Program, Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies; San Francisco, CA; 2010-2011
- Functional Neurology Assessment, Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies, San Francisco, CA; 2009
- Neuro-Endocrine-Immunology Training Series, Kharrazian; Oakland/Berkeley, CA; 2010-Present
- Neuro-Endocrine-Immune Clinical Application Series, Kharrazian, Santa Cruz/Berkeley, CA; 2007-2010
- Mastering the Thyroid, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2009
- Neurotransmitters and the Brain, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2008
- Functional Endocrinology Case Studies, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2007
- Functional Endocrinology, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2006
- Functional Blood Chemistry Analysis, University of Bridgeport; San Francisco, CA; 2006
- Basic Concepts in Neurology, M. Pick; Los Angeles, CA; 2005
- Advanced Practical Nutrition, M. Dobbins; San Jose, CA; 2005
- Science Based Nutrition I & II, V. Merkle; San Francisco, CA; 2004-2005
Further Training and Specialization
- Infant Examinations and Adjusting, Life West: Hayward, CA; 2017
- Adjusting the Mind, M. Schillinger; Pleasaton, CA; 2013
- Home Run Practice / Neuro Emotional Technique, K. Landis / S. Walker; 2007-2009
- Extremity Adjusting Techniques, M. Charrette; Sacramento, CA; 2007
- International Chiropractic Volunteer Work, Palmer Clinic Abroad; Fiji; 2006
- Upper Extremity Treatment Certification, Active Release Technique (ART); San Francisco, CA; 2006
- Soft Tissue Laser Treatment Certification, American Society of Laser Therapy; San Jose, CA; 2006
- Neuro Emotional Technique (NET), Basic, NEXT, & Advanced Certifications; San Francisco, CA; 2005-2006
- Sacro-Occipital Technique Organization (SOTO-USA) Clinical Symposium; St. Louis, MO; 2005
- Cranial Techniques, Sacro-Occipital Technique Organization (SOTO-USA); San Jose & Los Angeles, CA; 2003-2006
- Gonstead Technique Seminars; 2003-2006
- Visceral Manipulation, Upledger/Barral Institute; San Francisco, CA; 2004
- CranioSacral Therapy, Upedger Institute; San Francisco, CA; 2004
- SouthWest Regional Conference, National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA); Sacramento, CA; 2017
- NorCal Regional Seminars, National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA); Atherton, CA; 2017
- Integrated Approach to Fitness Assessment, National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM); San Francisco, CA; 2002
- Power to the People Physical-Culture Training, P. Tsatsouline; New York, NY; 2002
Dr. Brett Diaz
Doctor of Chiropractic
C.C.E.P, A.R.T. Provider
Dr. Brett Diaz, D.C. is the Director of Clinical Services for the Adult Scoliosis Treatment Program at Scoliosis Care Center. He brings over 30 years of Clinical practice experience to the position and a decade of experience and passion for helping adults with scoliosis live without pain using home-based, Corrective Movement Therapies to take back the control over their scoliosis.
In his previous position worked as an Independent Contractor for Scoliosis Systems as a Regional Director of Clinical Services for the Westcoast. He traveled extensively in this position and was responsible for overseeing patient services in 6 offices in 3 states. He provided corrective movement therapies such as SpineCor, Schroth Scoliosis Specific Exercises as well as other treatments he prescribed or his patients. He underwent his initial SpineCor training in Canada in 2011 for both Adolescents and Adults as well as Advanced SpineCor training in 2016 in the US. He is an authorized SpineCor Provider. In 200e was also trained in the Schroth Method of scoliosis-specific exercise through the NuSchroth program in 2015 in New York with Dr. Marc Lamantia, D.C., a Schroth Provider trained at the Schroth Institute in Germany. Dr. Diaz is also a Certified Scientific Exercise Approach to Scoliosis (SEAS) provider. Dr. Diaz has provided scoliosis specific exercise instruction that is specific to the patient’s curve pattern since 2015. In addition to these duties, he was also responsible for directing Social Media Marketing for the company nationwide.
Read more about Dr. Diaz's Background
As the Founder and Sole Owner of Scoliosis Treatment Alternatives on a company that was a clearinghouse for questions from the public about alternative treatments for scoliosis. The website ScoliosisTreatmentAlternatives.com the primary vehicle he uses to disseminate information to the general public about non-surgical scoliosis and is dedicated to providing the most current information on the topic non-surgical treatment of scoliosis.
At Orange County Back and Body Doctors, he worked as part of a multidisciplinary team of Medical Doctors, Physical Therapists, Acupuncturists, Nutritionists and Chiropractors. In this state-of-the-art facility, he headed up the of the Chiropractic Services Division and was responsible for evaluating, prescribing, managing and coordinating patient services with the other departments. He provided scoliosis specific myofascial therapy to scoliosis patients to help relieve pain and stop the progression of curves. He also co-authored a health-related article series for the monthly publication called Chiropractic Wellness.
Dr. Diaz also was the primary chiropractic service provider at Anaheim Clinica Familiar, a clinic that provided affordable chiropractic services primarily to the Spanish speaking community in lower-income families in the Anaheim area.
Dr. Diaz has undergone extensive post-graduate training and has received certification in Active Release Technique (ART) in courses in Spine, Upper Extremities, Lower Extremities, and Nerve Entrapment Courses. He has applied his knowledge in this technique to the treatment of specific contractures that result from the imbalances of scoliosis. Releasing these soft tissue contractures and the adaptive shortening that has occurred as a result of the imbalances in scoliosis has found to be helpful in improving the mobility in restricted areas of the spine, which helps relieve pain stop the progression of scoliosis curves.
In addition to providing chiropractic care Dr. Diaz had owned and operated a Corporate Creating Wellness Center that was geared towards providing full service in house Wellness Programs for company’s looking to lower their health care costs by improving the health of their employee’s overall, but particularly focused on helping employee’s that were at highest risk for a major catastrophic health challenge based on their lifestyle choices and overall score of their Creating Wellness Assessment. The program began with evaluating each qualified employee’s in depth in five categories and also given an overall combined CWA Score using state-of-the-art diagnostic wellness assessment tools such as Heart Rate Variability Testing to evaluate a person’s ability to handle daily stressors. Based on the employee’s results, each employee was given a specific recommendation for lifestyle changes and the option to use in house wellness coaching or on-line self-directed lifestyle modification tracking. For those found to be at the great risk for potentially devasting health challenges current or future, they were provided with free or significantly reduced wellness services as an incentive to make the necessary lifestyle modifications to reduce their risk for a catastrophic health event.
For over a decade Dr. Diaz was in private practice. He owned and operated Spinal Care Plus Chiropractic in South Ontario California. In this practice, he combined diversified chiropractic adjusting, Active Release Technique, physiotherapy, exercise rehabilitation and work conditioning programs to assist injured workers to safely return to work without the risk of re-injury due to deconditioning resulting from inactivity due to the work injuries. While he enjoyed helping injured worker’s recover from their injuries and return to work, the practice also provided treatment for people injured in motor vehicle accidents and other types of injuries.
Dr. Diaz worked for a multispecialty medical-legal group named Neurologic/ Orthopedic Associates. He initially began as a treating chiropractor then evaluating doctor in charge of coordinating patient care. He was later promoted to a Clinic Physician Manager position for the Montebello office and was assigned to turn around a facility that was busy but also disorganized and struggling to keep up with the volume. He was able to turn it around within 6 months and was awarded Doctor of the Year for the organization. He went on to help expand the companies reach into Orange County by opening a brand new in Santa Ana.
Dr. Diaz was an associate doctor at Century West Chiropractic in West Los Angeles. He provided diversified chiropractic care and physiotherapy for the group.
After obtaining his Chiropractic License in California in 1987 Dr. Diaz began his career as an Associate Doctor for Sallard Chiropractic in Diamond Bar California in charge of patient treating using diversified adjusting and physiotherapy.
Dr. Diaz graduated from Los Angeles College of Chiropractic in 1987.
Attended Los Angeles College of Chiropractic in Whittier California from 1983 – 1987. During his years in school, he Co-founded the Motion Palpation Club to help teach other students and himself the fundamental skills of palpation of the spine for restrictions in range of motion as well as specific corrective adjustment techniques for each of the restrictions in range of motion.
Undergraduate studies at the Ohio State University from 1980 – 1983 where he completed his pre-chiropractic prerequisite classes necessary to get accepted into Chiropractic school.
Dr. Aaron Van Brunt
Doctor of Chiropractic
C.C.E.P, A.R.T. Provider
Dr. Aaron Van Brunt is a D.C. with over 3 years of clinical experience. At the age of 20, Dr. Aaron decided to join the U.S. Navy where he served from 2000-2006. After 6 years and 2 deployments he made the decision to exit the military and pursue his passion of fitness, health, and helping others. Instantly he was drawn to chiropractic as a profession because it was the perfect opportunity to not only help people, but also spread his love of health and wellness.
Dr. Aaron attended Palmer West Chiropractic College, graduating in 2016 with Summa Cum Laude honors and as Valedictorian of his graduating class. While at Palmer, he was involved in the school’s Sports Council and founded the “Veterans Club,” a club geared to help returning U.S. veterans find alternative solutions to their chronic pain and raise money for various veteran organizations. Today, Dr. Aaron is still involved in the veteran community, coaches CrossFit classes, practices Jiu Jitsu, is an avid mountain biker, snowboarder, and obstacle course racer.
“My goal is always to empower my patients with the knowledge to care for and maintain their own body’s health and wellness.”–Dr. Aaron Van Brunt
Lead Scoliosis Coach
While working in sales and marketing, Adrian awakened a passion for patient care. As a liaison in Silicon Valley hospitals and health care centers, he learned the tools for effective and compassionate care. A believer in JJHC’s principles and practice, he is able to apply his expertise and experience to scoliosis patient care, using the health center believe in a non surgical solution to scoliosis.
After receiving his Bachelor of Science from San Jose State in Kinesiology Tony began his career in patient based care and grew into a role fitting, designing and implementing equipment at Scoliosis Academy.
After receiving his Bachelor of Science from California State University, Chico in Exercise Physiology, Calvin began his career in physical therapy leading to his current role as a scoliosis therapy aide.
Jonathan is currently studying Kinesiology and health sciences at San Jose State University. Jonathan brings his love of sports and energetic lifestyle to the clinic. When he’s not coaching at the clinic, Jonathan enjoys contributing back to his local community.
Manny is a recent graduate from St. Mary’s College where he majored in Kinesiology. Manny brings his love of physiology and self-discipline from coaching high school wrestling to the clinic. When he’s not coaching at the clinic, Manny enjoys spending time with his friends and family and his puppy, Sasha.
Office Manager, Chief Accountant
Diana has been working with Janzen & Janzen since 1998 as office manager and accountant. She is the doctors’ right hand, making sure everything moves along smoothly and patients are treated with the outmost respect and sensitivity. In 1999 she received her therapeutic massage certification at Western College while working at JJHC and later became the chief accountant.
“I take nothing for granted. I only have good days or GREAT days.”
Dr. Austin Jelcick
PhD Research Scientist
Austin graduated from CSU Stanislaus and the University of Nebraska Medical Center with a bachelor’s degree in biology and a PhD in genetics. Working in biotech in both scientific and marketing roles, Austin brought his experience to Scoliosis Care Centers where he now coordinates social media, written/graphic/video content creation, website optimization, and PPC advertising campaigns. When he’s not working you can find Austin hiking, surfing, and skating throughout the Santa Cruz area.
Erica graduated from Azusa Pacific University with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Exercise Science. She brings experience in non-surgical scoliosis therapy and treatment, personal training, outpatient physical therapy, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, and strength and conditioning training. Erica is a Certified Corrective Exercise Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) as well as BLS and First Aid certified through the American Heart Association. She currently is a student physical therapist at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences in San Marcos, CA.
Front Desk Administrator
Scoliosis Equipment Builder
Isaiah is currently finishing his sociology degree at San Jose State University. When he is not building equipment for our scoliosis patients he enjoys contributing back to his local community by volunteering at homeless shelters.